Tuesday, May 8, 2007

RSS experience

I'm paying the price of being away ...now have to do RSS and Wikis in this week if I wish to stay on schedule. Must admit I have sometime ago set up some RSS feeds in Bloglines....but at that time it did not register much. Plus I did not have a look until doing my homework now. So it is good to be able to conceptualize this abit more. I went for news feeds as I seldom have time for the newspapers..so often relying on the radio as I travel to work and so thought having the feeds at my workstation would be another avenue. Thankfully there is a "read all" button and I suspect the system only keeps X-number of postings, otherwise it could be overwhelming if one didn't check often...my case!

But I can see a nice current awareness potential in these feeds for us to re-direct information to specific users or maybe even group of users. Features like able to clip(remember there was a time clipping was a library activity. Perhaps we could create a clipping folder on a topic for posting to a blackboard site-- does suggest partnering with the unit co-ordinator etc. Or if from the reference service point a particular topic has been regular, maybe we could do a mini clipping file.

I have added some fun (but newsy) RSS like Daily Show Videos as they take the "mickey" out of well known personalities.

With the EBSCO activity one needed to set up a profile and I didn't get an e-mail but in doing the alert and choosing to receive the alert via RSS, it did give me the URL. But herein I found some frustration as Klickety metioned Bloglines kept saying no feeds were found. Then the penny dropped...I noticed our WAM bits attached to the URL...removing them and "magically" it worked!

1 comment:

ELLE said...

nap
You did better than I did, I didn't notice the WAM bits and it took days for the confirmation email from EBSCO.
alls well now, so I hope that i get some useful stuff.
ELLE